Ships in the English Channel
The Greatstone coast is a great place to view the many vessels that pass up and down the English Channel everyday. You can see what ships are currently in the channel and keep track of their movements by looking at the live map below.
So check out the visibility in the channel, take your binoculars to the many vantage points on the dunes and start spotting the ships.
Live Map of Vessels in the English Channel
The map below shows you what vessels are in the channel at any one time by tracking them in real time.
- you can zoom in and out by using the scroll button on your mouse.
- hovering over a particular ship will show you its name, speed and course
- clicking on the ship will show more information.
- you can move the location of the map by just moving the hand icon
- the map refreshes automatically approximately every 100 seconds (see number of seconds to next refresh at the bottom of the map)
nb: Vessel positions may be up to one hour old or incomplete
Vessels in the Area
Once you have identified the name of a particular vessel you can find out more about it here. Just use the A-Z 'Search Terms' at the top left of the page.
Ports in the Area
You can find out more about recent arrivals and departures, expected arrivals and vessels currently in local UK ports by clicking on the appropriate link below:
Dover Newhaven Portsmouth Southampton
Local Information homepage